There can be many reasons for dark eye circles including natural ageing, pigmentation on the skin under their eyes, your lifestyle and medical conditions. Also known as tear troughs, they can affect your confidence. Our doctors at Dr.Derme aesthetic clinic can help you identify and address these concerns.
What are dark eye circles?
Dark eye circles can be due to slumping or loss of our fat pads as we age. Over time, this may result in the appearance of a grove. Although commonly this volume loss alone can cause dark circles, some patients may also have pigmentation.
What causes dark eye circles?
Usually, there are a few reasons that result in you having dark eye circles. Often tear troughs can be passed down in families. Lifestyle factors such as hydration, sleep, diet and medical conditions such as allergies or eczema can play a role. Athletes can burn through their fat pads quicker resulting in loss of volume. Smoking can result in premature ageing.
Top tips for treating dark eye circles!
Firstly, make sure you are drinking plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. Sleep is when our body rests and repairs. Yous should aim to get 8 hours of sleep every night. A healthy diet is vital as vitamin C, vitamin K and iron deficiencies can lead to your eyes appearing sunken.
Secondly, a good skincare routine is vital in addressing concerns such as fine lines, wrinkles, laxity and pigmentation under your eyes. The skin around your eye is thin therefore gentler eye creams can be helpful. We recommend creams with vitamin c, retinoids, niacinamide, kojic acid and azelaic acid.
Above all, the sun causes the most damage to our skin. Sunblock with SPF 50 is your best investment to protect these delicate areas. Good quality skin has better and lasting results from any skincare, treatment or procedure.
How can we treat dark eye circles?
- Micro needling can help target fine lines, wrinkle, laxity and pigmentation by improving the blood circulation.
- Lasers can help improve the texture, tighten and achieve even tone around the eye to rejuvenate and brighten the area.
- Platelet rich plasma also known as PRP or PRF (platelet rich fibrin) makes use of your own growth factors to address skin quality and pigmentation.
- Sunekos is an injectable with amino acids and hyaluronic acid to hydrate skin and restore the vibrancy, youthful glow and health of the skin.
- Under eye hollowness due to volume loss can be treated with dermal fillers to achieve a fuller look. Results are immediate and natural. Added amino acids in Teoxane Redensity II also help brighten and lighten.
Not sure where to start why not try our FREE Skincare consultation*.
Are you ready to start your journey? Speak to our doctors.